Reading- We continue to look at mystery books and have started a new class read aloud called, "The Kidnapped King". Ask your student about it! This book is part of the A to Z series and the second book from this series that we are reading as a class. This week we will be focusing on how the characters and setting stayed the same as the last book. We will also talk about character choices in the book and how they have been positive and negative.
Math- We will be starting a new unit on Monday that focuses on fractions! So far, the class has done very well with picking up on fractions as an equal part of a whole. This next week we will learn:
- Denominator-an object can divided into equal parts, the number of parts in all
- Numerator-the part that is being considered.
- A fraction is formed when the whole is partitioned into equal parts and the quantity formed is, for example, 2 equal parts of the 3 equal parts.
- More Than One Piece-
- Naming fractional parts with fractions that have numerators greater than 1 (¾, ⅔, 3/6, etc)
We continue to work on economics. This week, we will talk about natural, capital, and human resources.
**If your child mentions they have not been "paid" in class, there is currently a money shortage as our class has a few more students than usual. A factor the "leader" of the class (me) did not take into consideration. This is being worked on and hopefully our economic condition will soon be upgraded.**
-Penny wars start next week. Send in PENNIES. Silver coins count against us. (You CAN send them to give to other classes and sabotage their totals!)
-Valentine Party will be on the 14th at 10:15-11:15. If you child wishes to create a box at home, they may. They do not have to. If they pass out valentines, please have them create one for the entire class. A list of names will come home by the end of next week. Here is how to help out for our party!
We're using VolunteerSpot (the leading online signup and reminder tool) to organize our upcoming activity.
Please sign up for Valentine's Day Party - here's how it works in 3 easy steps:
1. Click this link to go to our invitation page on VolunteerSpot: http://vols.pt/5et7cX
2. Enter your email address: (You will NOT need to register an account on VolunteerSpot)
3. Sign up! Choose your spots - VolunteerSpot will send you an automated confirmation and reminders. Easy!Note: VolunteerSpot does not share your email address with anyone. If you prefer not to use your email address, please contact me and I can sign you up manually.